Bomb threat at Cannes Film Festival causes evacuations

The Cannes Film Festival was disrupted Thursday afternoon, as a section of the Palais des Festivals was evacuated amid a bomb threat.

In a series of photographs uploaded to Twitter, police and fire engines were seen descending on part of the usually bustling area of ​​the Côte d’Azur resort.

According to Info France, a security perimeter was set up by the police around the Palais des Festivals, while people were evacuated from the convention center and surrounding areas. Those in the nearby boats and restaurants were also evacuated.

Info France further reported that shortly after 3 p.m. local time, a bomb squad destroyed a suspicious package outside the venue, ultimately allowing the day’s proceedings to continue as scheduled.

According to Deadline, Hong Sang-Soo’s premiere of In front of your face was to be screened at the Debussy from 3 p.m. The media reports that the fright did not disrupt the main Lumière cinema Memory, with Tilda Swinton, is screened.

Despite the threat of danger, crowds of spectators were seen gathering in the surrounding streets as local law enforcement guarded the area.

French journalist Jean-Baptiste Morel took to Twitter to share a series of photographs of the scene, writing: “Casino bomb threat, evacuated area.

Noting a “strong police presence,” Morel said in a follow-up tweet at 2:16 p.m. local time that the scare, which he said was caused by an “abandoned package,” was over and a screening which he attended was taking place. forward.

It is not the first time that such a fright has disturbed the course of the glitzy film festival, which began 74 years ago in 1946.

According to the Associated Press, a bomb threat saw the Debussy theater briefly evacuated before the premiere screening of Michel Hazanavicius’ film Formidable, which was competing for the Palme d’Or.

It was reported that customers were kicked out of the entrance after a bag was left unattended at the entrance to the Palais des Festivals.

A spokesperson for the festival said at the time, through Hollywood journalist: “Following the reports of a suspicious object in the Auditorium Debussy, the security protocol was triggered and the foyer of the theater was evacuated as a precaution. The verification procedure made it possible to clarify the matter and all is back to normal. ‘

Last week, it was reported by Variety that thieves broke into actress Jodie Turner-Smith’s hotel room, stealing tens of thousands of dollars in jewelry, including her mother’s wedding ring.

According to the post, Turner-Smith was immediately moved to another hotel a few blocks from the Croisette. She also received a great security detail.

Speaking to Twitter on July 11, the British movie star, who had traveled to France with her one-year-old daughter, wrote: “I didn’t think I would be spending 2.5 hours at the police station on my last day. in Cannes, but we are there … “

News week has contacted representatives of the Cannes Film Festival and the National Police for comment.

A policeman who guarded the Cannes film festival in 2017.
Getty Images

Comments are closed.